Bike Safe, Bike Smart - Wear A Helmet!
Bike riding is a great way to get active outside. We want kids and families to ride their bikes as much as possible. However..
DID YOU KNOW: Properly-fitted helmets can reduce the risk of head injuries by at least 45 percent – yet less than half of children 14 and under usually wear a bike helmet.
Here are some tips to having a safe bike ride this summer:
- Wear a properly-fitted helmet. It is the best way to prevent head injuries and death.
- Ride on the sidewalk when you can. If not, ride in the same direction as traffic as far on the right-hand side as possible.
- Use hand signals and follow the rules of the road. Be predictable by making sure you ride in a straight line and don’t swerve between cars.
- Wear bright colors and use lights, especially when riding at night and in the morning. Reflectors on your clothes and bike will help you be seen.
- Ride with your children. Stick together until you are comfortable that your kids are ready to ride on their own.