Prevention Works - Carbon Monoxide
Fuel-powered devices can provide wonderful benefits to families when used properly. But they also underscore an important necessity in the home: the need for a carbon monoxide alarm.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or cars left running in garages. At its worst, carbon monoxide can cause severe side effects or even death.
Young children are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide because of their smaller bodies. Children process carbon monoxide differently than adults, may be more severely affected by it, and may show signs of poisoning sooner. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea and drowsiness.
THE FACTS: Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that you cannot see, taste or smell. In 2009, poison control centers reported more than 3,551 cases of carbon monoxide exposure in children 19 and under.
Check out the attached PDF on some tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.