Car Seat Checks
About scheduled clinics and tips on proper use of safety belts
Northern NJ Safe Communities / Safe Kids periodically sponsor clinics on the proper use of seat belts. These sessions provide trained safety specialists that will show you how to properly secure your child and point out areas of safety concerns. Check the Information section of this website for the next scheduled Seat Belt Safety program clinic.
- No Excuse will bring them back.
- Secure children properly every time they ride in a car.
- Most crashes occur near home and can be violent, even at lower speeds. When used correctly, child safety seats can prevent injuries and save lives.
- Children 12 and under should ride properly restrained in the back seat:
- Infants should ride in rear-facing safety seats as long as possible: at least until they are 12 months old and at least 20 pounds.
- Kids over 1 year old who weigh 20 – 40 pounds and can no longer ride rear –facing should ride in a forward-facing children safety seats.
- Kids 40 pounds must use booster seats until the lap and should belts fit correctly around 8 years old and 80 pounds.
- Once safety belts fit children correctly (usually around age 8), the lap and shoulder belts should be used.